There are some core issues that define a well-constructed visit to your GP. Of course, sometimes you can make a big difference to this by coming well-prepared (see FAQ “How can I contribute to getting good care?). And just due to human nature a visit might not work out perfectly sometimes.
When a visit goes well, you will note that your GP:
- Meets your immediate need to manage acute presentations;
- Considers who you are, how you live, where you came from;
- Based on knowing you, thinks about how to help you prevent future health problems;
- Demonstrates respect for your wishes, culture, beliefs & individuality;
- Listens well and responds appropriately to build a rapport based on honesty, respect, and care.